“The best breakfast contains more than just complex carbohydrates. If you
consume a protein drink along with your carbs, you’ll not only enhance
glycogen storage but you’ll also have insurance against any breakdown of
structural protein that occurs when aerobic intensity gets to be a bit much.”– Kevin Kolodziejsk
1) EGG-WHITE OMELET WITH VEGETABLE-CHEDDAR FILLING
Cooking Time: 4 to 5 minutes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 3 large egg whites, 1 yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup loosely packed, chopped fresh spinach
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shredded nonfat cheddar cheese
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Whisk egg whites, water, dill (if using), salt and pepper together.
- Lightly coat an omelet pan or small skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat for 1 minute. Pour egg mixture into pan and cook until eggs begin to set on bottom.
- Spread spinach, tomato, and cheese over half of omelet, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Lift up side of omelet with a spatula and fold over filling. Cook 2 minutes.
- Slide omelet onto a serving plate and garnish.
Per serving: Calories 110, fat 0.5 g, saturated fat 0 g, cholesterol 3 mg, sodium 906 mg, carbohydrates 8 g, fiber 1 g, protein 18 g.
2) BLUEBERRY YOGURT CRUNCH
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 container (8 ounces) nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup bran cereal
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Serve immediately.
Per serving: Calories 190, fat 1 g, saturated fat 0 g, cholesterol 5 mg, sodium 250 mg, carbohydrates 44 g, fiber 11 g, protein 8 g
3) ZESTY CHEDDAR-ASPARAGUS QUICHE
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces small all-purpose potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated fat-free milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oven to 400° F. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with vegetable cooking spray and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Beginning in center, arrange potato slices in slightly overlapping circles up to rim. Lightly brush with olive oil and press down gently. Bake 10 minutes.
- Set 8 to 12 asparagus spears aside. Cut remaining spears into 1-inch pieces.
- Sprinkle crust with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup cheddar. Cover with asparagus pieces, then sprinkle with scallions and another 1/4 cup cheese. Arrange whole asparagus spears on top.
- Beat evaporated milk, eggs, egg whites, butter, mustard, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Pour into pie plate and sprinkle with remaining cheddar. Bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, for about 35 minutes.
- Divide into 6 slices. One serving equals 1 slice.
Per serving: Calories 200, fat 8 g, saturated fat 3.5 g, cholesterol 86 mg, sodium 316 mg, carbohydrates 20 g, fiber 2 g, protein 13 g.
4) SILVER-DOLLAR PANCAKES
Cooking Time: 5 minutes per batch
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup whole grain flour
- 1 heaping teaspoon Sucanat, honey or agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk flour, Sucanat and baking soda together in a medium bowl. Make a well in center. Whisk buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla together in another bowl until blended. Pour into well and blend just until moistened. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- For each pancake, pour 1 tablespoon batter into skillet. Cook until bubbles appear all over
- the cakes, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook until undersides are golden, about 1 to 2 minutes more.
SERVES: 4 (MAKES 16 PANCAKES)
Per serving: Calories 130, fat 5.5 g, saturated fat 1 g, cholesterol 55 mg, sodium 341 mg, carbohydrates 16 g, fiber 0 g, protein 5 g
5) QUICK FRENCH TOAST
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Sucanat, honey or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 1 slice whole-grain bread
- Place all ingredients except bread in a shallow bowl and whisk well until combined.
- Place bread in egg mixture and soak, turning once.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Place bread in skillet and pour any remaining egg mixture over bread. Cook until browned on bottom, then turn over to brown other side.
Per serving: Calories 160, fat 6 g, saturated fat 2 g, cholesterol 215 mg, sodium 200 mg, carbohydrates 14 g, fiber 0 g, protein 9 g